Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Eminem - Recovery Review

"And to the fans, I'll never let you down again, I'm back I promise to never go back on that promise, in fact, let's be honest, that last Relapse CD was "ehhhh." Perhaps I ran them accents into the ground. Relax, I ain't going back to that now. All I'm tryna say is get back, click-clack BLAOW. Cause I ain't playin' around." - Eminem, 2nd Verse of Not Afraid.

Those words alone is why Em gives people a reason to listen to his new album "Recovery." For an obvious reason, Marshall Mathers calls this project Recovery obviously cause (I'm being honest), Relapse was shitty. It had some decent songs, but it just wasn't Eminem.


Hit the "Read More" for the rest of the review.




As what happened to Drake, happened to Eminem. 2 week early leak. Now this is Eminem we're talking about. He probably won't shift the date up to next week (Drake did that, album dropped today), in fact, he probably doesn't give a shit. After all, he is this decades #1 selling artist. Relapse sold well and it wasn't even good. Join me on the adventure into Em's Recovery.


We open up with "Cold World." At first listen, I was like, "No Em, why you singing?" Then after a few more listens, I'm bobbin my head up and down(not like this guy though). 2 things I immediately grab from this song. Life's a bitch("If it was a slut, it'd be a whole lot easier" - Young Truth) & Em doesn't give a shit. Its arguable that Eminem is at his best on dark songs. This is a great example of one of his dark songs.


"Talkin' 2 Myself" ft. Kobe who made an appearance on Loso's Way is up next. Kobe takes chorus duties. The title of the song depicts what lyrically this song is about. Marshall just talking to himself, questioning himself and what not. In one verse he talks about almost dissing Lil Wayne & Kanye West. "Hate was flowing through my veins/on the verge of going insane/ I almost made a song dissing Lil Wayne." Probably was thinkin of this when Wayne was on everyones mind and Eminem was in his quite place before he came out with Relapse.  Great song in my opinion.


"On Fire" rolls up on the playlist. This is aimed towards blogs, critics, whomever says anything bad about him. Another dark song. Just an ok song. Big Em fans will like it.


The girl with the Pink hair is on the chorus for "Won't Back Down." I've been gettin' mixed reactions. Some people say the songs tight. He does it again. Others are like, what the fuck is this Pink shit. But hey, what can ya do. I love this song. Pink, not so much. But it doesn't bother me enough to not listen to it. The beat is awesome and Mr. Mathers busts a nut on it, no homo. I'm trying to think who would've done a better job on the chorus, and I can't think of name. He clearly wanted a more girly/rock voice for this one.


"W.T.P." You're probably asking yourself what is W.T.P.? Well I didn't have a clue either, and I looked on Urban Dictionary, they are unaware of it as well. It simply means White Trash Party. This is one of those funny songs he usually does on his albums. Yano, "ass like that" and "just lose it" for examples. This is dark humor. It's like the opposite of "just like that." You kinda gotta give it a listen. Pretty good song.


"Going Through Changes" is a sampled Ozzy Osbourne (Changes) song. This, lyrically, is about his maturity, growing up, realizing he needs help, blah blah blah. He gets kind of repetitive in his lyrics, but it's not that bad. Just an ok song.


And we arrive at "Not Afraid." Amazing song. Great first single. An honest song. This was a great sign when it came out for Recovery to show people that he wasn't doing the same shit he did on Relapse.


Now onto "Seduction." Don't let the name fool you. It's not about Megan Fox, or in my case, my dream girl Emmanuelle Chriqui. It's more like, "I lost her." This just another ok song. At this point, I'm piling up a few things for my final analysis. 


The highly anticipated collabo song "No Love" with Young Money CEO Weezy F. I've heard other peoples reactions that Wayne ruins this song, but I disagree. I'm defending Weezy. He currently is one of the top emcees right now, and this dude is sittin in a jail cell. Free Weezy! I love the What is Love sample. This is for sure one my favorites on the album. Not as good as Drop The World, but pretty damn good. 


"Space Bound" is another favorite track of mine. I can't figure out why. It just is. I don't know if you'll feel same way. I like the acoustic guitar beat. The chorus is catchy which never hurts a song. It's just a great song. I hope you agree with me on this one.


Next up, weighing in at an astounding (just a guess) 160 lbs. Marshall "Cinderella Man" Mathers! Clearly this is based off of the actual movie Cinderella Man. Great song. He explains that this is second comeback and not many people get a chance at that. Love this song. Kinda gets me pumped from the heavy clapping, bass, & electric synths. So far, my 3 favorite songs have been in a row.


"25 To Life." I'm really feelin the beat once again. What you will notice is that Eminem worked with a lot more producers than just Dr. Dre. I think it worked it great cause the variety of beats he has is great. Shows his diversity in ripping up any kind of beat. Good song. Not sure who the girl is on the chorus, but she does a decent job.


Nearing the end of the album we get up to "So Bad." He's so good that he's so bad. Play of words? I consider this song to be the darker "Best I Ever Had" except he's saying he's the best you will ever have. Good track. 


"Almost Famous." A lot of rappers like to rap about the topic "almost famous." Drake did, Big Sean did, I know many others have too. This songs just ok. Not a big fan, but good chance it could grow on me through more listening sessions. This shows you what fame could do to you, therefore the chorus saying, be careful what you wish for. 


"Love The Way You Life." Another chick song that people have been giving Em bad reviews on. Personally, I love this song. I love Rihanna. I also do love Chris Brown, but back to Em. If I had to choose Eminem's next single for the radio, this would be a heavy favorite. Great chorus. Another one that comes to mind is "No Love." But this one is more radio friendly. Your a fool if you don't like this song.


"You're Never Over." Eminem on the chorus singing again. You can clearly hear he has some problems with singing, but it's not that bad. Great song. He kills it. Fun beat. Another one of my favorites on Recovery. Lyrically, I have one more track left to review and all these songs are so long I'm tired of trying to get into his head.


"Untitled Bonus Track." Not sure what the title of this song is, because no way its called just Untitled. The shortest song on the album, even though its technically not apart of the original 17. He goes off. Nuff said. He tends to do that a lot doesn't he? White rappers can go off (Machine Gun Kelly, Asher Roth, DJ JD).


Final Analysis: As I stated before Em does get a lil repetitive with his lyrics, but who doesn't? Most rappers do at some point. Now on a 1-10 scale of how much better it is than Relapse? Mother fucking 10. It blows Relapse out of the park. He has his radio friendly singles, he has his dark songs, his one humor song, and then the ones where he puts the beat in the hospital. It really is a great album. Now would I call it a masterpiece? No. In my opinion, 17 songs is a lot. I feel he easily could of made this 14-15 songs. I felt as if literally 2-3 didn't deserve to be on their cause they weren't that good. My prediction: It goes platinum. Billboard previously reported that this past month, May, was the lowest selling month since I think it was 1992 or 1993. With the release of Recovery, and Thank Me Later, all of that should change.


3.75/5 


Here is what others are saying about the album -
"It's beast." - Brett Restivo
"Probably his best album to date." - Jim Sanders


Do you agree? Comment here or give us your opinion on our facebook!


You can download Eminem's Recovery here.

No comments:

Post a Comment